The city wants to hear about code violations and problems such as a property with trash or weeds, abandoned vehicles, water main break, stop light outage, etc. and have created a program called “Service Point”. Any citizen may report a problem, you may skip the log in most instances and submit anonymously. Use this link to Request Tracker to report a problem.
Excerpts from the Blue Springs Municipal Codes are listed below.
SECTION 245.160: ENUMERATION OF NUISANCES
The following are hereby defined, deemed and declared to be “nuisances” for the purpose of this Chapter, in addition to other nuisances specifically defined herein or by the laws of the State of Missouri or other ordinances of this City:
1. All substances which emit or cause any foul, noxious, unhealthful, or disagreeable odor or effluvia in the neighborhood where they exist.
2. All carcasses of animals remaining exposed twelve (12) hours after death.
3. All green or salted hides left or deposited in any open place.
4. All slaughter houses or animal pens or enclosures inside of the City or within one-half (½) mile of the City limits which are kept in such a condition as to be offensive, annoying, or disagreeable to anyone.
5. Establishments emitting or causing an offensive, disagreeable, noxious, or toxic dust, vapor, fume, mist, or odor.
6. All slop, foul or dirty water or other liquid, or beer washings, all filth, refuse, or offal discharged through drains or spouts or otherwise thrown or deposited in or upon any street, sidewalk, lot, park, public square, public enclosure, pond, or pool of water.
7. All vegetables or other articles that emit or cause an offensive, noxious, or disagreeable smell or odor.
8. All articles or things whatsoever caused, kept, maintained, or permitted by any person, to the injury, inconvenience, or annoyance of the public.
9. All pursuits followed or engaged in, or acts done by, any person to the injury, annoyance, or inconvenience of the public.
10. All hanging signs, ropes, network, or other advertising devices stretched over or across any street or sidewalk.
11. All ashes, cinders, slops, filth, excrement, sawdust, stones, rocks, dirt, straw, dead grass, grass clippings, dead limbs, leaves, brush, logs, weeds, foliage, shrub cuttings, clippings, soot, sticks, shavings, egg shells, oyster shells, cans, dust, brush, logs, paper, trash, rubbish, manure, refuse, offal, waste water, chamber lye, fish, putrid meat, entrails, decayed fruits or vegetables, broken wares, rags, iron or other metal, old wearing apparel, animal or vegetable matter, all dead animals or any other offensive or disagreeable substance or thing thrown, left, deposited or caused to be left, thrown or deposited by anyone in or upon any street, sidewalk, park, public place, public enclosure, lot, vacant or occupied, ditch, pond, pool of water, vehicle, motor vehicle or trailer, except that any grass, dead limbs, leaves, brush, logs, weeds, foliage, shrub cuttings, clippings or any other kind of yard wastes may be placed in and be made a part of a compost pile located on a lot or tract used for single- or two-family residential purposes if they do not emit or cause any foul, noxious, unhealthful or disagreeable odor detectable across any property line.
12. All partially dismantled, non-operating, wrecked, junked or discarded vehicles, motor vehicles and trailers allowed to remain on property other than City property within the City for a continuous period of longer than thirty (30) days, except that this Section shall not apply with regard to a vehicle in an enclosed building, or a vehicle on the premises of a business enterprise operated in a lawful place and manner, when necessary to the lawful operation of such business enterprise, or a vehicle in an appropriate storage place or depository maintained in a lawful place and manner by the City.
SECTION 245.330: HIGH WEEDS AND HIGH GRASS PROHIBITED
Any owner, lessee or occupant or any agent, servant, representative or employee of any such owner, lessee or occupant having control of any lot of ground or any part of any lot who shall allow or maintain on any such lot any growth of weeds or grass to a height of eight (8) inches or more shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. Whenever private property abuts a public right-of-way or easement belonging to the City of Blue Springs or any public entity and there exists in such right-of-way or easement a tree, lawn or grassy area between the private property line and the midline of said right-of-way or easement, then such tree, lawn or grassy area shall be considered, for purposes of this Section requiring the cutting of grass and weeds, to be a part of the private lot which abuts the right-of-way or easement and it shall be the duty of those responsible under this Section for the maintenance of the private lot to equally maintain the tree, lawn or grassy area within the abutting right-of-way or easement and all of the provisions of this Article shall apply with equal force and effect to said tree, lawn or grassy area. (Ord. No. 4257 §5, 8-17-09)
ARTICLE XI. EXTERIOR STRUCTURE
SECTION 515.660: GENERAL
The exterior of a structure shall be maintained in good repair, structurally sound and sanitary so as not to pose a threat to the public health, safety or welfare. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.670: PROTECTIVE TREATMENT
All exterior surfaces, including, but not limited to, doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches and trim, shall be maintained in good condition. Exterior wood surfaces, other than decay-resistant woods, shall be protected from the elements and decay by painting or other protective covering or treatment. Peeling, flaking and chipped paint shall be eliminated and surfaces repainted. All siding and masonry joints as well as those between the building envelope and the perimeter of windows, doors and skylights shall be maintained weather resistant and watertight. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.680: STREET NUMBERS
Each structure to which a street number has been assigned shall have such number displayed in a position easily observed and readable from the public way. All numbers shall contrast with the background and be Arabic numerals at least four (4) inches high and one-half (½) inch stroke. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.690: EXTERIOR WALLS
All exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks, loose or rotting materials and maintained weatherproof and properly surface coated where required to prevent deterioration. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.700: ROOFS AND DRAINAGE
The roof and flashing shall be sound, tight and not have defects that admit rain. Roof drains, gutters and downspouts shall be maintained in good repair and free from obstructions. Roof water shall not be discharged in a manner that creates a public nuisance. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.710: DECORATIVE FEATURES
All cornices, belt courses, corbels, terra cotta trim, wall facings and similar decorative features shall be maintained in good repair with proper anchorage and in a safe condition. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.720: OVERHANG EXTENSIONS
All canopies, marquees, signs, metal awnings, fire escapes, exterior standpipes, exhaust ducts and similar overhang extensions shall be maintained in good repair and be properly anchored so as to be kept in a sound condition. When required, all exposed surfaces of metal or wood shall be protected from the elements and against decay or rust by periodic application of weathercoating materials, such as paint or similar surface treatment. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.730: STAIR AND WALKING SURFACES
Every stair, ramp, balcony, porch, deck or other walking surface shall comply with the provisions of Chapter 500 of the Blue Springs Code of Ordinances. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.740: STAIRWAYS, DECKS, PORCHES AND BALCONIES
Every exterior stairway, deck, porch and balcony and all appurtenances attached thereto shall be maintained structurally sound, in good repair, with proper anchorage and capable of supporting the imposed loads. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.750: CHIMNEYS AND TOWERS
The exterior of all chimneys, cooling towers, smokestacks and similar appurtenances shall be maintained in good repair. All exposed surfaces of metal or wood shall be protected from the elements and against decay or rust by periodic application of weathercoating materials, such as paint or similar surface treatment. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.760: HANDRAILS AND GUARDS
Every exterior handrail and guard shall be firmly fastened and capable of supporting normally imposed loads and shall be maintained in good condition. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.770: WINDOW, SKYLIGHT AND DOOR FRAMES
The exterior of every window, skylight, door and frame shall be kept in good repair. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
SECTION 515.780: GLAZING
All exterior glazing materials shall be maintained free from cracks and holes. (Ord. No. 4176 §1, 8-4-08)
To report violations by telephone: 816 220 4565